Saturday 8 January 2011

Saturday 8th January- Gibraltar- Hello and Goodbye!

Hey one and all,
Apologies for not writing much lately, but in all honestly, not much has really happened lately! So I'm going to update you on the last month or so...


I flew home for Christmas on the 22nd December however it was a difficult journey! All flights to Gibraltar (Monarch,EasyJet,British Airways etc) were diverted to Malaga as the wind in Gib was making landings impossible. So the passengers would recieve a free coachride to Malaga airport to catch their flights.
However one plane had technical difficulties and had been cancelled.

Unfortunaty, it was EasyJet, my flight! I started panicking because I've never had to deal with cancelled flights before. I waited in the queue at the airport to reschedule my flight. However I was texting people at home for advice and was told the wind in Gibraltar wasn't going to change for the next few days. So I either had to wait for a plane to get to Gibraltar or travel to Malaga to catch a plane there. I decided to choose Malaga.

There was 3 flights due to be flying to Gatwick from Malaga that day, I had missed one, the second one was due to take off in an hour (It takes 2 hours to get to Malaga from Gib!) so I thought the 10pm flight would be the best option. But when the queue finally died down and I got to the desk, the assistant told me the 10pm flight was already fully booked up and that the next flight was 11am the next morning meaning I'd have to sleep overnight in the airport. So that was the option I chose as I didn't trust the Gibraltan weather to improve before 11am the next morning.

I heard 2 people next to me talking about travelling to Malaga to catch the flight the next morning and I quickly grabbed this oppurtunity and asked to travel with them.
None of us had been to Spain before and none of us could speak Spanish. But I would have rather travelled with 2 strangers then alone in a foreign country!
It took 2 buses to get to Malaga. There was a lot of waiting time though in between and alot of suitcase dragging! We waited for the first bus from 2pm. When we finally got to Malaga airport it was 9pm. It was a very exhausting day!

To try our luck we went to the EasyJet desk to ask if there was any seats available for the last flight to Gatwick that night. The lady behind the desk told us to wait 40 minutes and to come back then. During this time I text my parents letting them know I had arrived at Malaga airport and that I was ok. My phone battery unfortunately died (used up all the battery calling home for flight advice!) and I could only turn it on for 2 minutes at a time.

Anyways 40 minutes passed and the lady at the EasyJet desk waved at the 3 of us to come over. She said, "I've looked at the website and theres 3 seats left for tonights flight. Would you like to reschedule?" You wouldnt beleive how relieved I felt! I think I actually danced on the spot for like 5 seconds then realised I was in public lol...

So we recieved our new tickets and went through check in, I then called home screaming,"I'm coming home tonight!" and a few more things, then my battery died completely XD but it didn't matter, I was flying home!
My plane landed in Gatwick at 12:20am and the person I sat next to on the plane, very generously let me put my SIM card in his phone so I could text my parents to inform them I had landed!


It was a long day, but I'm so grateful for God's small blessings throughout the day! For my travel companions, my flight being rescheduled and the person who let me borrow their phone!! My mini miracles =]

Christmas and New Year was lovely, spent at home with friends and family! 2010 was a good year for me and I hope 2011 will only get better! =]

I flew back to Gibraltar on the 6th January. It was very hard departing from home especially because of the troubles I had in Gib last time. When I arrived I went to my new host families home. They are very kind and caring and I feel very welcomed and I was very grateful for that. =]
However after hearing some uncomftable news from my employers I have decided to fly back home in 2 weeks time.
Things were not working out and I beleive this is the best thing to do in this situation.


So I would like to thank everyone who has been reading my blog and praying for me the last few months =] I really appreciate it! I'm hoping to carry on blogging about my gap year (I'm hoping to find another job to keep me going! Any ideas? let me know =P) and hopefully I will have the time to blog during my Midwifery training at Uni in September.
So thanks again! God Bless =]
Over and Out!

...for now x

1 comment: